Thursday, August 30, 2012

Grown Woman Dress


What would I wear to Zimbabwe Fashion Week 2012 which kicks off today? I have a number of friends attending the event who've needed a little help on the fashion front so I've been on Planet What To Wear for what seems like weeks now. The super early morning chit chats and tweets got me thinking about what I would wear sitting front row thanks to good contacts.

I'm all for show-stopping outfits but there's a time and place for these. For Day 1 of Fashion Week, I'd keep it simple yet sophisticated and wear a Grown Woman Dress. 
"A Grown Woman Dress is a dress for a woman at a certain stage of her life that skims her curves but does not reveal her jewels. It has movement and can easily take her from day to night. It is not necessarily pricey but is guaranteed to turn the right heads." - Harare Mbama
Thought I'd share my Grown Woman Dress I actually wore yesterday with you. 
Dress - DVF
Bag - Chanel 
Shoes - Prada 
Sunglasses - Alain Mikli
Jewellery - BVLGARI
 

If only you knew just how much I wish I was home mingling with fashion enthusiasts avoiding the gaze of a couple of social commentator types I promised to call back many moons ago. If only I could explain why seeing South Africa's David Tlale, Terrence Chipembere, Yvonne Watadza and Rumbidzai Ngwarai amongst others showing at ZFW is so important to me. I yearn to be home talking face to face to a number of personalities I highly respect in the Twittersphere who keep many like me in The Diaspora abreast with developments in various industries. I'd give anything to be in Harare today. I'd give everything.
xxx

21 comments:

  1. Love your style lady, that pop of red on the Chanel sealed the deal. As we say, 'Zim Ndizvo' - I too would give everything to be home right now! Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ndafunga dande! Ndafunga kwedu! *doing The Zim Bop*

      Delete
  2. i love this! and i didnt know you had a red one too. beautiful. by the way, when i was reading the quote up top, i thought im sure its by DVF! lol...blessssss Tonxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha! Someone knows me too well eh *smirk*

      Delete
  3. and then i thought, when i saw the bags and sunnies on their own.."achabirwa bhegi" lol Ton xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maninja habirwe especially maninja ekwaChihota kani!

      Delete
  4. l love love that vintage dress. love your unique style you are so sheek. lm totally doing a response blog of what l would wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks luvie! Looking forward to your response.

      Delete
  5. I love the style above all I love the confidence that oozes when a lady feels good with herself. I especially like the fact that nothing is revealing, there is this trend on the streets of harare that if nothing is showing if your boobs ain't revealing that inner circle that lines you nit gonna be noticed if you don't have a damn I'm gonna follow that kinda slit then you not dressed. And its really sad wish you could come back home and knock some sense

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kundie. I won't deny that there certainly is pressure to show a little skin. I've felt it many many times and when I was younger, I went against my core beliefs in the name of 'being cool'. Years later, I realised that my body really is my temple and its not for everyone to see. I will come home. I have to because home is where my heart is and has always been. Happy Friday Kundie!

      Delete
  6. Someone really loves Diane lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is beautiful Angie!! Reminds me of this teal shirt dress I saw Kim Kardashian wearing. Not showing cleavage or anything we let them imagine it. #GrownWomanDress
    Love Lisa :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for Blackstone Books to start stocking fashion books. I'll personally deliver yours to you Lisa. Glad you like the look. I'm not a KK fan but that woman (or her stylist or both of them) have a great sense of style:)

      Delete
  8. Every time I see your zuda I'm tempted to go get my hair cut. Loving the look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Taku. Little do you know I was tempted to grow it a little and do ka S-curl box cut after seeing you when you were last in Melbourne.

      Delete
  9. This is the other Taku from the US.

    ReplyDelete
  10. plus size dresses for women Check out our wide collection of Plus Size Dresses for Women Online. Plus Size Qt Pie is the one stop solution, provides beautiful and amazing plus size dresses at affordable Prices.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very good specifics! I merely happened to run straight into your blog and now have recently been looking at put together. While i notion We may escape from the key views. While i don’t genuinely determine what to note aside from it's my job to incorporate. occhiali da sole donna marc by marc jacobs

    ReplyDelete