Friday, November 9, 2012

Same Shorty But In Shorts

I've been suffering from a mild case of Blogger's Block and suspect it has something to do with a grooming related post I'm working on. I usually write whatever comes to mind ignoring the Do-Not-Share-Things-That-Are-Not-Fashion-Related-With-Your-Audience Rule sharing tidbits of happenings in my life and the odd fashion tip. This particular post is unlike anything I've ever written before with more factual information that I've been told my close friends and followers need to know. The post I'm tempted to entitle Don't Sweat The Big Stuff Before You Master The Small Stuff, is not easy for this mere mortal who doesn't drink enough water and quite often goes to bed with makeup on after epic nights out. I'm also guilty of over waxing, over threading, over exfoliating and over moisturising. And yes I apply my foundation with my fingers rather than with a brush. 

I have good-grooming related tricks I've learnt over the years but one never stops learning. Do I start with the super basics or skincare or nail care or how-to-keep-your-shaved-head-looking-fresh? Decisions.

Tired of over thinking the post, I decided to accept a last minute invitation to a rooftop cocktail party last night. A few friends who had gone to Crown Oaks Day, one of the biggest days in the Australian horse racing calendar, were going to be there too. Nothing like a few cocktails with friends on a city rooftop to help with one's writing issues. Thought I'd share what I wore.
 Tshirt - Givenchy
Shorts - Lucky 13
Bag - Chanel
Shoes - Prada
Sunglasses - Ray-Bans
Jewellery - Vincci earrings + 
EA Drew and BVLGARI rings
Lipstick is MAC Up The Amp

My outfit was inspired by Zimbabwean fashion designer Tanya Nefertari, also known as Nikko Frikko in social media circles, who on Wednesday tweeted:
"I want leather pants but where on earth would I rock them in this heat in Zimbabwe..."
I was tempted to tweet that I too was in the same boat leather pantswise and confess that I'd found the perfect pair at Reiss in London but had ditched them mid transaction. I waited patiently for someone to respond to Tanya's tweet. I needed answers. Funnily enough, my dear friend Chichi in Canada responded in true happy-go-lucky Chichi-style and tweeted:
"Just do it!"
It was a sign. I had to pull out a pair of leather shorts I'd packed away in a box headed for a Salvation Army Family Store. I'd found them in a bargain bin in a shop women over a certain age really have no business walking into unless they're looking for something for their teenage children. I'd only worn the shorts a couple of times but felt like they really had no place in my wardrobe. Well...

Yesterday afternoon, I wasted no time in getting home early to freshen up and to work out how I was going to pull off the shorts. I was determined to kill 'em softly in the street on my way to the gathering. I was determined to kill the heterosexuals softly on that rooftop! But before any 'killing' of any kind, I needed an outfit that looked tasteful. I wondered how Tanya would wear the shorts. Would she team them up with a white shirt and one of her quirky bow ties or would she wear them with one of her must-have blazers? I was running late and simply decided to throw a little Harare Mbama slash Concert Chick something into the mix and wear the shorts with a sleeveless men's tee, power pumps, a classic bag, tried and trusted aviators and earrings with a little oomph.

What do you think of my Rooftop Shenanigans outfit?


xxx

PS ----> If you're on Twitter, follow @nikko_frikko, another Zimbabwean designer I can't wait to meet, and my girl Chichi @KairaB who is an undercover fashionista and a Natural Hair Guru. Their random tweets are guaranteed to brighten up your day! 

4 comments:

  1. Always on point. I remember you once wore leather shorts after a diet you were on and you looked good. Still looking good. you have the legs for it. would love to know what happened with the heterosexuals on that rooftop...did you kill them? of course you did. Lovies. Tondy xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. looking gorgeous.. LOVING the shorts on you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been eyeing that Givenchy top for a hot minute. It's on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rocked it girl! Yep definitely some killing happened with that outfit.

    ReplyDelete